Saturday 30 November 2013

Saturday Supper - Beef and Pepper Chilli

This recipe has become one of our favourites - perfect for a Winter supper:


Serves 6 - WHAT?! No way, I only just spotted that on the recipe :) I'd say it's very filling for 2 people with good appetites (and/or a two-legged mouse) and probably OK for 4 people with a dessert to follow if you're being posh. Certainly a great dish for having friends round if you do all the chopping etc. in advance.

2 x 15ml spoons olive oil
1 x onion, finely chopped
1 x red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
20g pack coriander, stalks roughly chopped and leaves reserved
15ml spoon Cool Chile Company mole powder (optional - I didn't use this)
Approx 500g good quality frying beef, or less, cut into strips
1 x 400g can tomato soup
1 x 400g can mixed beans - in water not salad dressing (the slightly smaller size will do fine)
(NB. If you can find 'tomato soup with three types of beans' in then just use two of those - Sainsburys used to sell them but I couldn't find any so I improvised with one can of soup and one of mixed beans)
2 x plum tomatoes, each cut into quarters
150g nacho cheese tortilla chips
25g Mexican-style cheese, freshly grated

To serve:
130g tub fresh guacamole
142ml pot soured cream
60g bag herb salad or whatever salad mix you fancy

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Remove and put to one side on a plate.

Place the coriander stalks, mole powder and the beef into the same pan and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the soup and the drained beans and heat through for 5 minutes. Return the onion and peppers to the pan, then add the tomatoes and coriander leaves and combine.

Preheat the grill to a moderate heat.

Place the chilli into an ovenproof dish. Top with the nacho cheese tortilla chips and scatter with the cheese. Place under the grill and cook until golden brown. Keep an eye on it as those tortilla chips will burn easily.

Serve with the guacamole, soured cream and herb salad.

Things I do: I did buy really good frying beef the first time but the second time I counted out me pennies and bought fillet steak - well worth the extra money! No way can I find the mole powder stuff so that was omitted. Plus, I actually just used good ole grated Cheddar cheese as the deli counter never seems to have Mexican-style cheese which has little bits of chilli in.

The two-legged mouse thought my version was fine, and he's a chilli fiend usually!

Enjoy!

AND, we passed not just 60 but 70 Playground entries already! Remember the Playground is open until 11am tomorrow, UK time, this week - but we achieved 60 plus so, if you wanna little rest, please do have a lie down. WELL DONE! Mwah :)

Di
x

6 comments:

  1. Umm-yummy! Looks delicious too. Are you a food photographer in another 'life'? And I'm so sad I can't play at the playground this week. I'm loving that sleigh, and haven't seen it at any of my store visits. Nor found it on any of the web places I purchase. Is this a UK only item? I have the larger CLynn sleigh, but not the small one. I did find a ?Fiskars? sleigh punch today at the Joann's I wasn't gonna visit. I have a tempter who drives me around, and he said "Well, you KNOW you wanna go"...so on our way back from the Stamp place, we GPS'd this particular JoAnn's - which is very large, and usually well stocked. I got 2 new Ott lights..fairly good buy. Not great, but I needed another floor lamp one. Hugs & Congrat on 100 Weeks. You deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over this picture! It looks delicious. DH and I love chile...I think it is sort of a comfort food...sticks to you on a cold day!
    I am going to try the tortilla chops and cheese over top next time I make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the soup as a basis. Going to try a veggie version with out homemade chilli sauce and some fresh chopped chillies in the cheese x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum.

    Kath x

    Hope you haven't fainted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish. I think I have missed a post or two along the way - are you not well? Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.