Friday 3 February 2012

Friday Feast - Rhubarb, Orange and Stem Ginger Crumble

This recipe was one of the photos I lost last week - but, I managed to find a free photo which is a very close illustration of how it turns out - after all, one crumble is much like another - I didn't think an image of a stick of rhubarb would be the same :)
Rhubarb, Orange and Stem Ginger Crumble

675g/1.5lb rhubarb, leaves discarded, washed and cut into pieces
Juice and zest of 1 large orange
50ml/4 tablespoons water
1 piece of stem ginger, diced into small pieces
2 tablespoons ginger syrup, from the jar of stem ginger
55g/20z sugar

For the crumble:
170g/6oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
110g/4oz butter
55g/2oz granulated sugar

Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/ Gas Mark 6.

Put rhubarb into a heavy-based saucepan with the orange juice, zest and water. Simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Strain and put rhubarb into an oven-proof dish.

Sprinkle over the stem ginger pieces and pour over the ginger syrup and sugar. Allow to cool. NB I didn't like the idea of these additions just sitting on top of quite tart rhubarb so I stirred them into the rhubarb in the dish.

Meanwhile, make the crumble mix. Sift the flour with the salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and when the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, mix in the sugar.

Sprinkle the crumble over the rhubarb and place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until hot and slightly browned on top.

Serve immediately.

Had a bit of a laugh at the recipe (a Prue Leith one saved from The Mail newspaper many years ago and never used until now) - it said 16 oz of flour for the topping instead of 6 oz. Not thinking, I'd weighed the flour out and then common sense kicked in when I realised I was going to be up to the elbows in flour :)) Double checked with the metric weights and sure enough, someone hadn't done their proof reading before going to print had they!?

I cooked this for friends the other weekend - just did the rhubarb stage it all cooked and in the dish to one side with the crumble mix all ready done and in a poly bag in the fridge. Once the main course was almost cooked it was just a matter of sprinkling the topping onto the rhubarb and popping it into the oven.

Ah, in case anyone wonders where I got rhubarb from right now - we had some (homegrown too) still in the freezer from last Summer. Not quite enough so I bought a big can of rhubarb and drained it well then mixed it into the cooked rhubarb before adding the ginger etc.

This was yummy with custard/ice cream - and Leonardo, the two-legged mouse, polished the remainder off when our friends went home :)

Enjoy!

Di
x

11 comments:

  1. Hmmmm rhubarb sets my teeth on edge and stem ginger? Well? [if only you could see my face you'd know what I think of that :-) ].
    I have to say Jo loves them both so this one would be one for her today :-)
    Guess it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply ADORE crumbles of any variety! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds right up my street. We don't have rhubarb out here but the new Iceland store sometimes has it in cans. We also pay an arm and a leg for a small jar of ginger but fresh root ginger is readily available and I have learned how to preserve this and it is almost as good as the stem ginger. So I might have to give this a go.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really yummy love rhubarb and ginger sounds good enough to eat. Will have to try this recipe. Will take a copy. Many thanks always look forward to your recipe of the week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh she knows me so well! It sounds fab - if only I had raided and frozen Annie's rhubarb!! I still think I will have to make a crumble for tea now. Maybe apple and blackberry as I have plenty of those in the freezer. Have a great weekend. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds scrumptious, I love crumble and the EM loves rhubarb - a match made in heaven - and I think with a bit of judicious substitution on the sugar front it would be a guilt-free pudding for me to enjoy. We can always depend on our two-legged mice to polish off the leftovers :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nom nom, as they say!!! Love rhubarb, but forget the ginger for me. What time is tea?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. still dieting, but this sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Di,

    Yum. I love rhubarb!! Although for the longest time I didn't know exactly what rhubarb looked like.... I've had rhubarb/strawberry pie and rhubarb/banana pie. Both yummy. I also love ginger. Yep, might have to try this recipe - but I'll watch the flour! haaa

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks yummy Di, l don't normally use like Rhubarb but it makes a welcome change from Apple so Sunday this will be on the table after lunch thanks again for another of your fabulous recipes:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, my Daughter loves crumbles and I am partial to a rhubarb one but I would never have thought of putting orange with it but I will now, not sure about the ginger though as not certain how she feels about that.
    Been keeping an extra eye out on your blog these past couple of days, you will be getting an e-mail.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.